Saturday 16 September 2017

They're Bombing my 'Hood



That headline is not some kind of fancy metaphor. They are, literally, bombing my 'hood.

Yesterday a bomb went off at my local tube station: Parson's Green, five minutes walk from my house.

This makes me really mad.

Like the bomb at the Ariana Grande concert, this one was timed to explode when the train would be filled with children, on their way to school in the morning.

Luckily, the device, a home-made nail bomb, much like the Ariana one, failed to go off properly. Several people were burned, but no-one died or suffered critical injuries.

But, can you imagine how terrifying the whole event must have been - the screaming, the stampede, the crush - for many of the children's friends, who only just started navigating their own way to school at the start of this term?

Londoners, however, are wonderful people (apart from the terrorists, obvs, who Mr Trump so lyrically described in a tweet yesterday as losers).

Everyone rallied around to help the injured and to reassure unaccompanied children. Our favourite local restaurant opened its doors to all the emergency services as a base for first aid.

Friends of mine, who live on the roads that were closed off, kept the police topped up with coffee and Krispy Kremes, and they, in turn, let the children try on their riot gear, which made them seem much less scary.

In a literal display of adding insult to injury, it transpired that the terrorists hadn't meant to bomb Parson's Green at all.

The timer went off early. The bomb was intended for a higher profile target like Paddington Station or Notting Hill. The media reported that 'outside of London, no-one has heard of Parson's Green.'

So the terrorists dissed us, then they bombed us.

I'm angry about all of this, but it doesn't make me scared. (Despite the threat level being raised to 'critical' and the constant buzz of police helicopters overhead).

Quite the reverse, in fact. It makes me realise, yet again, that life is short and unpredictable. We have to be brave enough to make the most of every opportunity.

On a happier note, thank you, thank you to all of you who pre-ordered my book on Amazon! And for all your wonderful comments on my 'coming out' post. (You made me cry. In a good way).

For a brief moment on Thursday I was #1 on the Amazon chart of 'recovery books', knocking Russell Brand's new book into second place.

(I had great fun imagining him, all snake-hipped and leather-trousered, pacing up and down his kitchen, holding his cute new baby, shouting Who is this SoberMummy person?!? But I doubt he even noticed).

If you'd like to help me change the world (or just want to annoy Russell Brand) by ordering a copy, click here. If you're in the US, you can also find me on Amazon.com.

Stay safe everyone, and love to you all,

Clare (SM)

10 comments:

  1. It's strange, everytime something happens in London I thin about you, hoping you and your family are safe. Strange, cause I really don't know you personally. Anyway, glad you are safe. Don't let these terrorists scare you, but be wise and keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. And the great thing is, you can! You are sober, you are aware. Istn't that a wonderful feeling? Anyway, gotta go now because I really have to pre-order your book. I would love to be able to annoy Russel Brand but most of all I can't wait to hold a copy of your book, since you've been such an inspriation to me. Thank you for that. (And thank you for the post about Campral. Been using it now for 2 weeks and being sober has never been this easy! It's like I don't care anymore. It's just not appealing anymore. Very strange, but very good!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokkie, I'm so glad the Campral is helping! Let's spread the word!

      Delete
  2. Loved the Russell Brand image!

    How small a world it really is....thinking of you so close to that event, and the presence of children.......so very glad it was n worse and thatbyou and yours are safe.

    So, do us N. America types wait for US publication....I'm unsure about ordering off the UK site. Hope the other day's bad events didn't knock you off your cloud - you deserve to be able to savor and savor such a sweet, exciting moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find me on the US Amazon too, Northwoman, but only on kindle edition. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clare+pooley

      Delete
  3. So scary! Truly amazing how horrific it could have been. I pre ordered my kindle version, looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, so glad you are safe, I have a lot of trips planned to London in next week or two, will not be cowed..I managed just over a year sober thanks to your writing/sharing, and will be putting your book in a prominent place in my house, to remind me how I finally got free,...I did slip over the summer, I didn't work the self care enough, let life get to me, but I have recommitted, all the slip did was reinforce my decision, drinking helps nothing, I cannot moderate and don't even want to..it tasted like petrol...so looking forward to reading your book I will be six months sober again by then so will be good timing..thank you for being you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back on the sober waggon, Phoenix! Thanks for all your support. You rock x

      Delete
  5. So scary to read the news these days, especially when the event is close to home ... Glad to hear you are all ok and the indomitable London spirit soars on. Just placed my order with Amazon ... Sorry Russell you may be dropping down that leader board !! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are all ok! We are only 30 mins from manchester and I still haven't been there since the MEN bombing, someone I knew was killed and I still can't get my head around it all, and as much as I would love to say I am not scared, unfortunately I am, it's a scary world we are living in :-( my book was preordered as soon as I had read your coming out post! 301 days for me and that definitely somthing to feel good and positive about despite what's going on inthe world! Stay safe, big hugs and have a good week xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete