Wednesday 3 August 2016

Falling Off the Wagon



I've had a number of e-mails and comments on the blog recently from people who've recently fallen off the wagon. Sometimes after just a few days, sometimes after months or years.

If that's you, and you're thinking aarrrgghhhh! Now what do I do? Then this post is for you....

A dive off the sober wagon generally starts with the same thought process. It goes something like this:

It's really not fair that everyone else is drinking and I'm not. It's summer/Christmas/my birthday/a funeral (delete as appropriate). I really deserve to be able to celebrate/commiserate/de-stress (delete as appropriate).

It's been AGES since I had a drink. By now I'll have 'reset' my relationship with booze. I'll be able to moderate! It's not as if I was a 'proper' alcoholic. I'll just have one, then stop. I'm older and wiser now. I know the dangers.....

Sound familiar?

So you have that one drink.

Now there are two ways that this can go. The end result is the same, but the path there is different.

Scenario One

You have that one drink and it's like coming home.

You think hello, old friend. I've missed you. 

But one isn't enough. It's just a teasing reminder of what you were looking for. A peak-a-boo from behind the fingers. So you have another. And another.

Before you know it you're on a bender. You wake up in the morning feeling terrible - physically destroyed and emotionally distraught. You know there's only one thing that can fix this terrible black hole: more booze....

Scenario Two

You have that one drink and you don't even enjoy it that much.

It tastes a bit like vinegar. Mouldy socks.

You think blimey, was that what all the fuss was about? Then you think yay! I'm cured! I don't even like booze much any more!

So, a week later, at another party, you feel confident enough to have another one. Actually, two this time.

Before too long you're drinking a glass or two most nights, and a bottle at weekends. Before much longer you're back to exactly where you started, dazed and bemused and thinking how on earth did I let that happen?

I know you'll be reading this thinking ah, but I'm different. We ALL think that we are different. Yet the main thing I've learned from this blog is how spookily similar we all are, despite our variations in ages, locations, nationalities and backgrounds.

So, if you've just fallen off the wagon, then here's what to do next...

Pick yourself off the highway, grab onto the chassis with both hands and haul yourself back up as quickly as you can.

The problem is that even one little drink kick starts the wine witch right back into action. After days, weeks, months or even years of training her to stay in her box and keep quiet, she's back with a vengeance.

In scenario one, she's saying: oopsy daisy. You've really blown it now. Never mind, you might as well go for it for a day or two and quit again next week when you've re-gathered your strength. You know you can quit again - you've done it before. Easy peasy!

In scenario two, she's saying: see! I told you so! You can moderate! You're a 'normal drinker'. Woo hoo. Carry on baby!

But the truth is the longer you carry on drinking, the stronger the wine witch gets, until before long quitting seems just as impossible a task as it did last time.

In fact, this time it's even harder to gather up the enthusiasm, the energy, the excitement. You know it's going to be tough and you just don't think you can face it right now.

(And now there's this little inner voice saying: you failed. You're useless. You'll never do this).

Perhaps next month, when things are a bit easier....

But if you climb right back on, as quickly as you can, you can treat it as a bump in the road, a cautionary tale, a salutary reminder. It'll be hard for a few days, maybe even a few weeks, but you won't be back at square one, not by a long shot.

Check out the comments below, for relapse stories from lots of my readers. Do please add your own.

Onwards and upwards (and sometimes a little bit sideways),

SM x

P.S If you're a serial falling-off-the-wagoner, and can't get past the first few weeks, then please, please read this post: The Obstacle Course

The Sober Diaries, the warts and all story of my first year sober, is now out in paperback! Click here.

26 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed this today. I was at 107 days and have experienced scenario 1 and 2 over the past 3 weeks. No lie, word for word you have described my thoughts and feelings exactly. I woke up this morning and I'm jumping back on the wagon and gonna hold on for dear life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So today is my new Day 1 x

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm so sorry, Shazza! You were doing so well! But all is not lost - just forgive yourself and keep going!

      Delete
  2. Well scenario 2 was just like me, happened exactly the same every time. Lesson learnt. Am on day 103, finally made the 100 after a few false starts. Jus have to keep trying. More importantly have just returned from hols in France and did not have a drink at all. The first sober holiday ever ( and am over 50). If I am honest it was a bit flat for about 3/4 days then after that perfectly fine. You can get kronenberg alcohol free beer in all the supermarkets and instead of wine when out I had citron presse which they bring with allsorts of paraphernalia - sugar, water, ice, spoon, glass of juice. Felt like such a bon viveur! Best of all no hangovers. Best ever holiday - who knew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome work Sharon! Bien fait! Amazing! Xxx

      Delete
  3. Perfect timing! I been on Scenario 2 for the past couple months, after beginning January with a great start; This month is my 54th birthday and I decided 8-1 to get back on track! I'm going to print this post and place it in my journal. Thanks SM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing again, I'm determined to make it work this time. I have been on scenario 2 for one year now! While I slid into it slowly, and it's not 100% back to where I was December 2015, I know it will be if I don't stop now. Five days sober, just started a blog and freaking out a bit (because I'm still so lured by alcohol). Your recent post of Strong Women, tells me I can be so too!

      Delete
  4. Day 116 and I still need to read posts like this. Good reminder that we are often so similar. This is exactly how I think when the wine witch calls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to be a bore I know I have told this story as many times as I have stopped drinking but..... I made it to day 139 and thought I'll have one last goodbye session and then get back on the wagon. Unfortunately it took me 14 months to get back on for any length of time. Day 74 for me today and I have had everything from pink cloud to white knuckles but I am staying on co I know how hard I have had to fight this time. SM is right, get right back on the wagon cos the witch does get stronger and louder the more days you are off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a perfect way of putting things.

    I have thought about both scenarios over the past few years. In the end, I don't want a drink, I want to get drunk....and that says it all.

    Best to hold on to my joy and vitality. Happiness isn't that easy to find. Why risk it?!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this will be a long battle. I was in London today and even went onboard the Tattersall Castle on the Thames for a drink (softie) but later went up around Berkeley Square. Sun shining, lots of people spilling out onto the pavements with their beer and wine - all very fine and a scene that I used to be a fully paid up member of; usually first in and one of the last to leave. I'm 7 months into this thing now but days like today are still hard and all the self talk and logical reasoning does little to assuage the feeling that all I really wanted to do was join the rest of the merry throng. Still, I'm here, back in my home away from home, listening to the wind, sober. I've told myself that I'll be the smug one in the morning - going to the gym before breakfast, without a hangover but right now - I wouldn't mind the hangover. Sorry, not very encouraging but there it is. I'll be turning the light out soon and putting an end to another day.

    Justonemore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Justonemore! I bet you're so glad now you stuck with it, however tricky.... I worked in Berkeley Square for ten years - fond memories. Xx

      Delete
  8. I was in London & Brighton last weekend for my daughters graduation ceremony. It was a tough call - the sunshine, the champagne, the pimms... All the lovely soho lunches and evening pub crawls left me feeling a little nostalgic. In fact at one point I burst into tears at my perceived unfairness of it all. Why do I have to be different to everyone else? Why can't j just have one glass of champagne at my daughter's prize giving? Why me? I felt so left out. I have 160 days in the bag today. I will keep strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I know I know! There are often moments like that, but increasingly they're outweighed by the good times. You're doing great!

      Delete
  9. Morning SM and fellow travellers...I hear you loud and clear...thank you....I too recognise the nostalgic and somewhat irritating call to join in...I went to Malmaison in Oxford for a reunion with old friends from my expat days in Nigeria...where a close bond was made and many fun times were fuelled by alcohol....that evening .Mohijtos, champagne, wine with dinner, the reminiscing went on til early hours..I was the only one on water and peppermint tea...but I have not laughed so much in a long time, and did not envy them their heads the next morning at breakfast,, it is a challenge...suspect it always will be...I still have the card I wrote with the pros and cons of drinking In my handbag,,,it winks at me whenever I reach for a lipstick.....I am just beginning to see the the changes in my skin, hair, face, stomach etc...in my fifth month AF.....I am slowly having an effect on those around me who, without my judgement are choosing to drink less....as you say SM onwards and upwards..x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea keeping the list in the handbag! Glad you're laughing!

      Delete
  10. Great post SM! Timely for so many of us. I find it hard to let go of my idea of the person I used to be. And I do feel so much more boring living a sober life. That is particularly the case on social occasions. But the benefits so outweigh these considerations. It's a new phase of life. I must expect to wobble for a while. Hope you're hanging together SM? Thinking of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi SM thanks for this. I'm a scenario 2 person. Been there more than once, it all starts off ok and then I'm back where I started! I'm in day 100 today! Thanks for your blog posts they are s great support to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on 100 days Putting Down the Glass!! That is fantastic, u must be so pleased with urself & deservedly so!! x

      Delete
    2. Huge congrats on 100 days PDTG! Awesome!

      Delete
  12. As always wise words. Deep down I think we all know moderation does not work for us - but we wish it did. I am very lucky to have had a few holidays this summer and have had a couple of wobbles. It has been tricky but reading this blog has made me realise that one drink will be one too many. Lost count on number of days AF - but over seven months - most definitely couldn't have done it without SM and this community.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a complete scenario 2 person.. I will go a month.. two months...and then watch it all slide away. Its that age old FOMO feeling and the warm weather does nothing to dispel it. That said, I believe a drinker can find any excuse for a drink.. too happy/sad/scared/angry, too wet/sunny/snowy/ celebrating, commiserating, its all the same. To be free and liberated is a goal worth aspiring to. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I needed this today! I am on vacation alone with my husband and it is very hard not to drink! Today I even asked him if he thinks I could go back without a problem! Of course he said "no!" But it's so hard sometimes! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scenario 2 ! After a year AF, I opened my "favourite" wine, a big bold, Italian red. Together with my husband we couldn't even finish the bottle - it took two days ! From the woman who used to drink at least a bottle of wine a night. I continued to drink for another 3 years, before exactly the same reasons brought me to stop again. Although I never did get back to the bottle of wine a night, I nevertheless experience some monumental hangovers, including feeling suicidal. I am someone who otherwise, has never suffered from depression and is renowned for being calm and upbeat. I am now 8 months AF, and feeling strong ! The relapse was an important lesson and I kept a diary throughout. When I'm in doubt, I go back and read my diary entries. Courage and Happy Christmas to you all !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love peoples honesty on here...It always makes me feel that I'm not alone. Day 159 !! And thankfully and miraculously so far no falling off the wagon but I thought I'd share a really intense experience I had about a month ago. I was a bottle and a half of wine every night drinker....and after reading the sober diaries which i found by chance in a tiny bookshop, i went from that to nothing overnight...and I am super proud of how far I've come. So...about a month ago I had a craft/jewellery party at mine to let two friends who sell their own homemade things - the chance to show off their trinkets and for others to start their Christmas shopping. So I bought wine....for others to drink .... first time I've had wine in the house since July. I was completely fine until I actually poured a glass for someone and suddenly the desire to drink was so completely and utterly over powering that I very nearly did. It was like just opening the bottle had unleashed the wine witch (or in my world the booze b**tard) - forgive the language! and the pull of it was so so strong. It terrified me. I don't think I'd ever really considered myself a REAL alcoholic - I was going to work each day, not waking up in doorways, didn't have vodka on my cornflakes so i just needed to cut down. I think that evening i realised just how addicted I had clearly been to alcohol. To experience such an overwhelming desire to drink. It truly frightened me. I didn't drink - and when the guests had gone I poured the wine down the sink (an exhilerating feeling) I think what I'm trying to say - I battled for years with the 'i'm never drinking again' scenario and 'i need to cut down' and the ''right that's it'' chatter in my head and I often went for a day or 2 without but always ended up giving in and falling spectacularly off the wagon. I think being AWARE and honest with ourselves about how much of a mental addiction alcohol can be - then we can prepare ourselves for those times when temptation strikes hard. We always have a Christmas eve party at ours and currently the house is FULL of alcohol - but I'm ok with that and i've asked my hubby and daughter to do the pouring on the night and I have a crate of Becks Blue, sparkling eisberg and ingredients for a virgin mohito in stock so I can mingle clear headed. Wishing all my sober friends on here - whom i love with all my heart because your Sober Mummy's blog posts and other peoples comments have got me through some dark times - a very HAPPY alcohol free Christmas and New Year.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete