Saturday 11 July 2015

Offline

My internet connection is down.

I had 3 BT engineers in my kitchen scratching their heads for 3 hours yesterday.

I'd packed a picnic and was ready to go the the park with the kids who were by now stir crazy, hungry and beating each other up.

I could feel the stress levels rising. I was getting more and more tightly coiled, like a spring about to explode.

There was a bottle of chilled Chablis in the fridge. It was talking to me. "I'll make it better. This would not be your fault. The situation is out of your control. You deserve this."

Instead I yelled at the kids (not good behaviour) and disappeared to my room with two AF beers until I'd calmed down.

The engineers left without fixing the problem and I've subsequently spent 2 hours on the phone to their call centre in India with no joy.

So I'm typing this with one finger on my iPhone, just to let you know that I am still here and will post properly once I'm back online.

I keep telling myself that, in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big issue. We managed without the internet for millennia. I haven't exactly been plunged back into the Stone Age (despite what the children say!).

How did I get to the point where a small technological problem becomes a major disaster? There are people coping with war, famine and persecution. I just have a problem blogging, and three children whining about not being able to play interactive Minecraft.

This really is not an excuse to pour a drink after four months sober. Get a grip SM x

16 comments:

  1. We rely on the internet a lot now don;t we, i hope it is fixed soon for you and you can breathe again! sometimes everything is just so stressful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's because being online and blogging is a bit of a lifeline? I know how much reading your blog helps me in this, so actually blogging must be even better. I also sympathise - keeping the peace with three children is a massive challenge. I've been on my own for just over 24 hours with mine (Daddy on stag-do, the lucky bar-steward) and I'm fit to drop/run off to Brazil etc etc. Although, doing this sober has been SO much more fun, and a million times easier. Doesn't exactly make it easy though. I could literally just go to sleep right now, but instead, we're going to a 4 year old's birthday party. Love a challenge, me. Good luck with the Internet, and everything else. The Chablis can f*ck right off. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody technology - managed to post that three times...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acceptance is key to all our problems..... trust that everything happens for a reason and it will eventually get fixed and all work out.....
    Because sometimes, we just can't control things...... and we have to let go..... and accept them....
    or we lose it......
    We have a choice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've summarised my problem in a nutshell SM! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I find it's not the actual reasons that lead me to stress that cause me to want to drink but the actual stress itself. So it doesn't really matter if the reason for my stress feels silly or stupid but it's the stress itself. Maybe that's something all of us instant gratification types have to work on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is there wine chilling in your fridge?
    Honestly, your house should be a safe zone. Most relapses happen in moments of distress or anger.
    Protect yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the husbands, Anne. 99% of the time it doesn't bother me....

      Delete
    2. It's none of my business, but I'm with Anne. It shouldn't be there in those 1 %-moments. It just makes it that much easier to drink in a moment of weakness.

      Delete
  8. Day 13 for me. Just finished reading your entire blog thanks for the lifeline. The wine witch and I are still battling daily!! But I am winning with your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome allergic! And huge congrats on 13 days - awesome work! Keep at it, and keep in touch! Xx

      Delete
  9. I would simultaneously shit bricks then curl up and die if my internet went tits up. NO ONE wants to see that. You're a saint. Besides if you did glug the chablis the internet would still be out AND you'd feel like crap. By the way, if you're looking for Joy she doesn't work at the call center in India, but rather the one in INDIANA. FYI.

    ReplyDelete